5/31/2007

'Walk the Walk'

A few years back I joined the online grassroots activist group MoveOn.org – then 2.5 million strong. This non-partisan group became so strong and so effective, the right-wing had to demonize it, and demonize it they did. I know you’ve heard about “the MoveOn.org crowd.”

But, this post is not about MoveOn.org: it’s about ONE of the large circle of special friends I made on MoveOn.org’s “Great Goals” forum.

This special friend Jeff Noland – I simply call him “Poet” - is a writer of verse, a pool shark, a “Mr. Mom,” an intellectual and a dispenser of megalong snail-mail challenges to my grey cells.

He is philosophical, cute, kind and faithful to his friends. One of my favorite Poet stories is when he formed a water-balloon army of neighborhood kids and sent photos of the “battle.”

The Poet took a big step this morning.

Here’s what the official press release says:

“On May 31, 2007, Jeff Noland, a poet and activist from Chicago, will begin walking from his home to New Orleans to benefit Habitat for Humanity, New Orleans Area.

“Walk the Walk 2007 is a way to honor the difference between talking and doing. Fellow artists and activists from around the United States are joining Jeff along the way. Walk the Walk will initially head west towards the Great Muddy. After they hit the Iowa border, the walkers will head south, paralleling the Mississippi River to its mouth in Louisiana.

“Walk the Walk 2007’s goal is to encourage awareness and increase donations to the New Orleans area. All proceeds will benefit Habitat for Humanity, NOLA.”

The Poet sent me a cell-phone number to check in with him along the way, and I will post updates on the group’s progress.

He asked me to encourage all I know to support NOLA’s Habitat for Humanity through donations and volunteering.

I encouraged him to buy several pairs of the best walking shoes on the planet.

Have fun, Poet. My esteem for you continues.

***

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HABITAT FOR HUMANITY, NEW ORLEANS AREA: LINK

TO DONATE BY MAIL:

Mail checks to this address and indicate “Walk the Walk” on the momo line:

New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity (NOAHH)
Attn: Development
POB 15052
New Orleans, LA 70175

TO DONATE ONLINE: LINK

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir Cumspect, Frodo is so disappointed that your inspiring post was not properly labeled, especially in consideration of our friend, the poet. How could you not have begun, (with a little imitation of Mr. Antoine Domino) "Ah'm walkin' to New Orleans. . ."?
Godspeed Sir Poet.

B.J. said...

Too obvious. Now, Mr. Frodo, you know me well enough to know I've been singing Fats' song ever since Jeff told me about this! That's when I'm not singing, "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?" Aren't we proud of our old buddy? BJ aka "Merry"

Anonymous said...

thank you lady. getting ready to walk out the door right now. so, wish me feets luck. and a prayer here and there. well. i can't hurt. smile.

love you lady.

jeff....

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Jeff. My prayers and best wishes go with him and his group. Myself and my study groups have been supporters of Habitat for many, many years. My study group in Tampa started our support many years before I left Tampa. I'm sure "Poet" will have lots of verse to share with us on his journey. And I know there will be very grateful recipients who will be blessed by the group's labors of love through Habitat. Thanks to Jeff and his fellow group artists.
We applaud your courage and dedication in this act of human kindness. Prayers and blessings to each of you.

Rhonda Richoux said...

Jeff is proving that one man can make a difference in people's lives, one step at a time! Thanks for bringing his journey to the attention of your readers. I have some local walkers who will meet him along the way and walk him in to New Orleans, too. Everyone I speak with is so appreciative of what he's doing, and want to show their support. Thank you for doing the same! ~Rhonda from New Orleans

Carolyn said...

Hooray for Sir Jeffrey!