4/03/2008

I met a man with six wives

“Nature wronged her by not making her a man. But for her sex she would have surpassed all the rulers of history.” - Oliver Cromwell, upon the death of Catherine of Aragon, Queen of England, divorced from Henry VIII.

***

Remember the riddle about going to St. Ives and meeting a man with seven wives? Well, on my way to my blog this morning, I stumbled across such a man on a great Web site.

Althogh I thought I knew all there was to know about his wives, I found excellent biographical sketches on each.

No deep thoughts or frivolous froufrou to offer you today. I’m still thinking about the above quote and am knee-deep in history.

Here they are, complete with portraits: the six wives of Henry VIII. Some things you just can’t get enogh of!

TUDORHISTORY.ORG

2 comments: