2/06/2008

Best Hillary-bashing rebuttal

I wish I had said this. Wait a minute! I have! A thousand times!

Great thanks to the friend who sent me this AOL News column – the best rebuttal to Hillary-bashing I’ve ever read.

So, you don’t care for Hillary? Go ahead, read it. It might surprise you!

“Political Machine” column (LINK), AOL News – written yesterday before Super Tuesday results:

The Greatness of Hillary Clinton

By Tommy Christopher, POLITICAL MACHINE, Feb 5, 2008 6:40 AM

Senator Hillary Clinton is now neck-and-neck with Illinois Senator Barack Obama going into today's Super Tuesday contests, after what has been a hard-fought, turbulent campaign so far. Unless you live in a cave, you know that every move the candidates make, or the candidates' staffers, or their cousins, has been scrutinized and magnified by our conflict-starved news media, and the din from both camps of supporters has reached supersonic pitch.

It is easy to lose perspective at a time like this. A lot of criticism has been leveled at Hillary Clinton, some of it fair, most of it not. If you are an Obama or former Edwards supporter, you might feel the need to tear down their opponent out of a belief in your candidate, rather than explore why you may agree with all three, but with your guy more. No matter what happens today, I think it needs to be remembered that Hillary Clinton is a great American, a pioneer, and in my view, would have gone just as far or farther had she never even met William Jefferson Clinton. I think Hillary says it best when she says, "I may be the most famous person that you don't really know." The level of bile and hatred that has been spewed at her, dating back to her husband's first term, is truly astounding, and it is clearly motivated out of a fear of women.

I first became aware of a Hillary backlash when she began working on the Clinton healthcare plan in 1993. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago, but looking at that plan now, even if you disagree with it, you have to admit it was a bold and pioneering step toward addressing one of the major issues of our time. Almost immediately, the cry of, "Who does she think she is?" went up all across the airwaves.

From then on, the narrative on Hillary Clinton was set. Every misogynistic cliché in the book was applied to her. Some at least bothered to mask this with an ostensible concern about her not having been elected, but that was a thin veil, indeed. Of course, her plan was defeated by the Republicans and the health insurance industry, and labeled a failure in the press.

Since then, she has weathered a never-ending tsunami of scrutiny and criticism and hate from every quarter. What always surprised me was that the most virulent reactions to Hillary came from women that I knew, even before the Lewinsky scandal. Perhaps she represented a challenge to them to overcome their own marginalization.

Then, there was that "scandal." To this day, I can't figure out why, even if you cared about that business, why would anyone be resentful of Hillary? I remember at the time being so impressed with her composure in the face of all of that adversity. I was no fan of Bill Clinton, whom I felt did too much to appease the extreme right wing at our country's peril, but I was always impressed by Hillary.

She ran for Senate in New York at the end of her husband's term, and suddenly, everyone was calling her a "carpetbagger." I had to run and get my English-to-1930s-Slang dictionary (Roget's puts it out). But, as she campaigned, a funny thing happened. People liked her. She won the election, becoming the first woman senator from New York.

For me, the erosion of my support for Hillary was a slow process that began with this country's drastic shift to the right in the wake of 9/11. The events that unfolded after that pushed me to more progressive politics, and I saw Hillary as part of the wing of the Democratic Party that stood in the way of progressives like Howard Dean. To be clear, I didn't move left as much as the country moved right, and I ended up on the left. For a long time, I bought into a lot of the left's anti-Hillary rhetoric.

Hillary makes a strong argument that her ability to appease those elements, and to weather attacks from the extreme right, make her an effective agent to enact practical changes. There's validity to both arguments, really. For me this election is not about who I agree and disagree with, but rather with whom do I agree more? After last week's debate, the choice isn't so clear to me anymore, but it is also beginning to look as though both of these candidates will end up on the ticket, anyway.

Whomever you vote for today, just think about what you were doing in 1973, what your mom was doing, what your buddy's mom was doing. More to the point, what they were allowed to do. Hillary was graduating from Yale Law School. You can google a long list of her accomplishments, I won't waste time listing them, because they are tangential to the essence of my argument.

Hillary Clinton is a force of nature. When I saw her at the debate last week, it rekindled in me the admiration that I had felt for so long. I still have political and philosophical disagreements with her, although I do think she exposed a weakness in Obama's healthcare plan, and she may not get my vote, but I sure do think she's a great American. I don't see how you can deny that she would have been as successful, or more so, had she not been first lady. She has something innate that drives her to lead.

You can disagree with her politics, or with some of her campaign strategy, or her overarching philosophy, but if you want to talk about "fishwives" or cackling or crying, man, do I not want to hear it. History will record Hillary Clinton as a great American and a pioneer, and possibly the first woman president, or vice president. History will record those who smeared her with misogyny as clowns.
–END-

“DemWit” today: Congressional Quarterly’s Craig Crawford past midnight, Super Tuesday

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER!!! Great article. History will prove the true accounts of her as an equal (hopefully) rather than a woman. If we could only have that insight today (before the election)!!!!!

Phillip

airth10 said...

Hillary is a force of nature as Christopher said. She is unique. Go Hillary!!

Anonymous said...

Loved this article. The writer is correct in his assessment. I support Hillary and also sometimes wish she were less appeasing. My husband says that's the sign of a good leader, and he's right. Hillary and Obama have what it takes to be a good president, I'm convinced. We Dems are really lucky!

Anonymous said...

Jan thinks Hillary has shown her mettle throughout all of the disparaging remarks and slime thrown at her. The radical right also showed their misogynistic natures from the git-go of the President Clinton announcement to run for president. He, by the way, screwed one woman while in office, BushCo has screwed the entire nation and world.

Are you better off than you were seven years ago?

Jan dares to say the penis envy against a stalwart woman has been nauseating. What good deeds have the hatemongers done for their fellow human beings? I don't call the greedy chauvinists destroying our younger generation's futures good deeds.

Furthermore, if those right-wingers who call themselves Christians were the only God-like messages Jan ever read, she can see where Jan would be the biggest atheist that ever walked on this earth.

However, she would like to think there is a more loving power in the universe, and that loving power may be in the guise of Hillary Clinton and others like her who love their fellow human beings enough to devote their lives in service to help provide a better life for those less fortunate. A complete opposite of the greed the world has seen these past seven years- - make that about sixteen years.

Seems to Jan the misogynists and hatemongers are jealous because most women and a few men are more nuturing toward their fellow human beings. It appears the envious ones have not evolved beyond the caveman era.

Again, are you better off than you were seven years ago?

We know the greedy and warmongers are! But how about our homeless vets? Those loosing their home? Those who cannot get medical care? The list goes on and on.

Who, besides Hillary, running for president has spent thirty-five years of their life working to lift up those who had no other voice speaking out and working for them? Not just in this country but around the world?

Anonymous said...

I do want to say that's a beautiful piece of writing! And true. The writer speaks from the heart and inspires.

Now, when all this is said and done, it is time for us to put away the "woman" label. She is a great and accomplished person who has worked hard all her life, worked smart too. She may be the choice for president for each of us. Now, let's let her graduate from the label, whether we are speaking pro or con. She's got a lot of people behind her now, and she will always have criticism of some of her past actions. Do we really believe it's only because she's a woman? I don't.

She's certainly on the campaign path now!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that excellent article, and I agree she is someone whose feet are held to the fire more than anyone I can think of in history. I just wish she had held her ground and not voted for the war. There are votes that she has made that leave me deeply uncomfortable with how she would run this country. I do think she has evolved into a politician who adapts to the winds and so if she has a progressive Congress she will likely work with them and undo Bush's awful presidency.

Not that she is her husband's keeper (obviously) but I DO NOT like the way Bill is so chummy with Bush senior. Why does Bill even associate with him? As far as I am concerned this "friendship" of traveling on diplomatic tours together is a slap in the face to all the Americans who have been struggling unneccessarily because of the Bushes. Times were better during Bill Clinton's terms, but I don't know Hillary. What will she do as president?

Obama is the wild card but my gut instinct tells me he would act with integrity, as much as possible given the system.

I admire Hillary's tenacity and strength, but the fact that she is a woman does not mean she would be an empathetic president. Look at Margaret Thatcher. We need a clean slate, and that is why Obama appeals to me. I see your position, and I definitely do not despise Hillary!

Phew! Sorry to go on a big rant!

With love and righteousness, :0)

Athena