6/11/2007

Walking poet Q&A

Only about 640 miles to go! Our friend Jeff Noland – “The Poet” – had reached Galesburg, Illinois, by Sunday morning, 160 miles from his Chicago home.

The big deal? He’s walking. The really big deal: he’s walking to New Orleans, raising money for that city’s Habitat for Humanity.

Jeff, who had reached a friend’s home in Galesburg when I talked with him Sunday mornig, answered an email Q&A:

Q. How did you prepare, train for the walk?

A. I started walking around my neighborhood five months back. First, a few miles a day working up to more. I also started walking to my meetings or home from my meetings - about seven miles. A ton of sit-ups and pushups. The last two weeks before I left, I walked the block with the pack loaded as much as possible. Glad I did now.

Q. Where are you sleeping at night?

A. On nights when I have nothing else? A nice tent I carry. On nights when I am really lucky? A hotel or other people’s homes even. Yeah. people have taken me in. Amazing, ain’t it?

Q. Do you know ahead of time where you will spend the night?

A. No. I work that out based on how many miles I can make on a given day. With a semi-rough idea of where I am aiming at beforehand. Near the end of my travel day I start scouting and make camp, usually in a grove of trees for a bit of shelter and to maintain cover while I am sleeping.

Q. Are you getting any local media coverage?

A. Near as I can tell right now, no. Am gonna do some ‘net surfing today and see if I am right about that. Will let you know what I find.

Q. What about people along the route? Are they noticing you? Talking with you?

A. The answer is yes. Even more so when I find the time to attend an AA meeting here or there. A few have stopped on the road to ask if I need help. I could go on for hours about those people. Have notes. Will do so when time permits. Oh, as to mentioning AA? I’ve been told so far that mentioning a 12-step program is OK. So, feel free.

Q. Are you keeping a daily journal or a video record?

A. Notes here and there on scratch paper. Carry weight is something I have to worry about, so I am limited there. I am taking pictures on my camera phone. As soon as I figure out how to email some I will.

Q. Do you know how donations are going?

A. A little bit of knowing. Some here and there. The irony is I am getting more donations from the New Orleans area than anywhere. The number? I have no idea. Will try to find out via my New Orleans Habitat contact and let you know.

Q. How do you cope with the “elements” – heat, rain?

A. Heat? I walk and drink a ton of water, which slows me down, because I must carry it. But, hydrate or die. Rain? At first I thought I would be able to walk in the rain. I am starting to think I might just have to lay up on days like that. It is much harder walking. I burn a ton more water and a ton more calories. Which means eating food I have to carry and might not be able to replenish for a while. Am learning to balance such and go with what makes the most sense at the time.

Q. Have you lost weight?

A. Actually I’ve gained weight. Guess I’m some kind of mutant freak.

Q. What “essentials” are you carrying on your person?

A. Tent. Camp stove. Freeze-dried food. Sleeping bag and mat. Military-issue, quick-release backpack. Solar battery charger for phone. Sundry other personal items.

Q. What is the next sizeable town you will reach?

A. Will give you next leg plans before I start tomorrow.

Q. Didn't you tell me you mark five years of sobriety in June? What date? And, sincere congratulations!

A. Today, lady. i marked five years today! Smile. Made me two AA meetings here in Galesburg to celebrate even. I am a very lucky and blessed man. That said, off to make some more plans. I will send you details when decided.

Viya con dios, Poet!

***

VISIT JEFF’S “WALK THE WALK ‘07” WEB SITE: LINK

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HABITAT FOR HUMANITY, NEW ORLEANS AREA: LINK

TO DONATE BY MAIL:

Mail checks to this address and indicate “Walk the Walk/Jeff Noland” on the memo line:

New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity (NOAHH)
Attn: Development
POB 15052
New Orleans, LA 70175

TO DONATE ONLINE: LINK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sir Cumspect, an appropriate name in this instance, would you ask him how he got from Sandwich to Galesburg? Frodo assumed he'd hang a left at Mendota and follow I-55 straight down to Pass Manchac, but he appears to be heading toward Capistrano.