4/23/2007

Confessions of a tree-hugger

My Florida friend Clara has had her peaceful world invaded by housing developers parking in her yard and plowing down the wooded area beyond her house.

Clara is happiest when she’s outside on a sunny day, digging in dirt, pulling weeds and planting flowers.

Now, she can’t hear her wind chimes for the roar of construction vehicles.

I’m a tree-hugger. I feel her angst.

My sister Martha in Louisiana is just now getting her home, lawn and swimming pool back to normal after Katrina.

Years ago her husband Tony, who died five months before the hurricane hit, planted an oak tree in their yard. Katrina took it out.

A few weeks back Martha found a tiny oak growing by her back yard fence, apparently the offspring of her husband’s tree. After consulting with neighbors, she transplanted the little tree to the cul-de-sac island out front – “in memory of Tony.”

She called last night to report the little oak is thriving.

I’m a tree-hugger. I feel her joy.

I used to joke that my favorite sport was watching trees grow. Having lived in the same townhouse apartment for 22 years, I have seen pine saplings out front grow to soaring heights.

The growth of two oaks flanking my patio was as much a part of my routine as breathing.

Out back, up and down the way, was a verdant paradise of wood shade. In the morning I would open the drapes on my sliding-glass door and watch the gathering at bird feeders hanging from the oak branches.

From season to season, the birds changed. The oaks stood steadfast.

One morning I noticed my large Sunbeam outdoor thermometer lying on the ground. Going out to inspect, I saw that one of the oaks, during the night, had simply nudged the thermometer off its nail.

Another morning ritual was watching squirrels eat corn off my patio steps as my cats lined up inside the window, just inches away, transfixed by their fluffy upright tails.

I’m a tree-hugger. I felt content.

A few years ago the gentleman who owns the apartment complex decided to cut down the trees. For a week I watched them disappear one by one – 120 in all, including the two oaks outside my window.

I cried all week and still tear up when I think of such a beautiful biosphere being wiped out. Oh, how I miss it and its denizens.

Countless times I would walk into my kitchen, and the rays of a late afternoon sun streaming through the leafy canopy in shades of yellow-green would just take my breath away.

After “The Great Tree Cutting,” I was forced to keep my kitchen curtains closed because the harsh glare was blinding.

Three things in life are certain: death, taxes and change, and one can be just as painful as the others.

***

Two posts today, dear reader. Continue on.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only after the last tree has been
cut down;
Only after the last fish has been
caught;
Only after the last river has been
poisoned;
Only then will you realize
that money cannot be eaten.

Author Unknown

Anonymous said...

Merry, I am so sorry to hear that Mr. Wizard has died. I'm hoping I'm not right, but I'm thinking that he is your Great Cat. I know what this is, and my heart is with you. It stops you. But He, now, he had you. And has you now.

I can't respond on Frodo's site anymore because of the odd numbers thing. Which is ok. I just like to read it. But I read your comment, and I want to say godspeed. You've been through it before, and you will be through it again. And the animals had the best they could have because of it. I had to have an old sheep put down last week. Whew. You just hold on. anon.

B.J. said...

ANON!!!

Frodo and I have wondered about you.

First, Mr. Wizard is not my cat. Don Herbert, who played Mr. Wizard on TV, died this week - on the day that Frodo had writen about him on his blog. Spooky.

My cat is Oliver - after Oliver Twist.

I understand about the number verification code on Frodo's blog, sometimes it doesn't work for me. I wish he could remove it. It's very hard on the eyes. If you can't see the numbers, click on them and you might get an easier-to-read image.

Frodo and I miss your comments on his site! I will let him know I've heard from you. BJ

Anonymous said...

Merry, Hello! I can't tell you how glad I am that Mr. Wizard wasn't your cat. I can't really explain why I felt so bad thinking he was gone but that something in the way you described him to me "took", as it does with people who love these guys. It would be hell to try to explain this to anyone but an "animal person".
I tried to respond on Frodo's site, but it just doesn't take. I type in the largest number, but it doesn't work. Then it's gone. So I try the next one, same thing. Strange new world. I'm not very computer oriented.
My best to Oliver. You said he was a very big cat. I had such a cat, and I can just feel the weight of the guy. Nice guy, I bet.

B.J. said...

ANON! So good to hear from you. The reson I’m trying to communicate is to tell you that I figured out the problem with the number code on Frodo’s blog! I’ve been missing your comments there. The problem is: if your comment is longer than about four lines, it will NOT take it. So, when I have a comment which is longer than four lines, I split it up into two comments. I realized that you normally wrote long and thoughtful comments, so that’s the problem. It’s not YOU, it’s the code. Just type about four lines or five lines, submit that portion, then type the rest in a second comment and submit. I have done this on several occasions, and it works. Short comments go right through with no problem.

I am sorry to tell you that my cat, Oliver, went missing on 11 July. Put in my blog address below, then type “Pieces of my heart” in the “search blog” window at the top of my blog, and you can read the post I wrote about it. Very sad to have a cat go missing and not knowing.

I am taking a hiatus from my blog for a while. I was neglecting other important things. Hopefully, I will be blogging again when I can get some things accomplished.

See you on Frodo’s blog! Friends, Merry LINK to my blog is below. Just “copy and paste” or type it into address window. If you have trouble getting to “Pieces of my heart,” leave a message here, and I will just put the post here. There are no spaces in the link. LINK:

http://iseemydreams.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you, will do. Can't imagine being able to collect my thoughts into four lines, but what a good imperative. Hope any of this gets to you. What a maze the Internet. May Heaven only be a forest. Anon

B.J. said...

Leaving comments was the only way to get in touch with you, and I wanted you to know how to get around Frodo's number code problem. I was having the same problem you were having, and finally realized it was only happening on particularly long comments. (Comments on my blog can be as long as you wish.) It's not an "imperative:" it's just a glitch on Frodo's blog. Anyway, I just now saw that you commented there. I wonder if you read what I wrote about Oliver having gone missing. If you go to Frodo's entry dated 22 July 2007, I left you a comment and the link to the blog post I wrote about losing Oliver. Since we don't have email contact you can always reach me by leaving a comment on my blog or Frodo's. Hope all is well with you.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand it. I left you a message on your newest post last night, expressing deep sympathies. But it's not there. I'm computer-jinxed.

B.J. said...

Anon: I knew you would be sympathetic over my loss of Oliver. I don't know why the comment didn't "take." They come into my email inbox and then I publish them to the blog. I didn't receive the comment. My dear, we are ALL "computer jinxed," LOL! Thanks for your kind heart. BJ