10/11/2007

The Year of the Spiders

I am a stationary observer of nature, having been in the same home, surrounded by a sanctuary of plants and trees, for 22 years.

Through the years I have noted that in any given year certain insects are more prevalent than others.

Years ago I began referring to such annual occurrences as “The Year of the Flies,” “The Year of the Wasps,” and so forth.

For 21 years, insects prevailed, but not this past year.

Never in all these years has there been an overabundance of arachnids - until this past year.

There are, apparently, spiders in my home, and I’m delighted I cannot see them. But, they weave and leave their calling cards in the form of cobwebs.

There is a distinction to be made between spider webs and cobwebs: spiders spin orbs of insect-catchers while cobwebs are tightly woven clumps of the sticky, silky substance.

For a year now I’ve waged a one–woman war, cleaning out corners, nooks and crannies filled with cobwebs. Come morning, busy little eight-legged night visitors have replaced them.

A couple of days ago I asked the pest-control guy about this infestation, but he seemed oblivious to the phenomenon.

So, it was with a great deal of interest and amusement, that I read an email this morning from my friend Andrew, editor of the online Red Dirt Report, an Oklahoma- based news site.

Apparently “The Sooner State” is experiencing this problem later.

Crawl over to Andrew’s “Red Dirt Report” (reddirtreport.com) and read “What’s with all the spiders?” by Michael Gamino: LINK

So, readers out there: is this just a problem specific to Oklahoma and my apartment, or is this a world wide web? Comments welcomed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan had a spider in one of the bay windows in her kitchen. It had beautiful colors on it and spun colorful webs. One great daily pleasures was to sit at the table at watch it weave its web and/or repair it. A friend called it a Liropa. (Not sure if that's correct spelling.)

Surely a brother-in-law from Ohio killed it when they visistd because that's when it disappeared. He's scared to death of spiders.

That spider is sorely missed. It's wonderful to watch them weave their intricate designs.

B.J. said...

Jan:

You are a woman after my own heart.

When my firstborn son was a baby, his dad was a coach, and we lived in one of those OLD houses furnished by schools.

One morning right at dawn I went out to sit on the back porch.

The sun hit a spider web betwwen a tree limb and trunk. The biggest web with the biggest spider I had ever seen.

The spider was gathering in the web which held several snared bugs.

I sat and watched it until it had rolled the entire web into a small ball and crawled away with it.

That was something to behold, and I will never forget it or taking the time to enjoy it.

BJ

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jan--I don't kill them. Eventually, I put them outside. But then, I am a weaver, maybe that matters.

I do take issue with the solitary spiders without webs--they sting, and it really hurts. Those spiders I had to deal with eventually by spraying all around the baseboards where they come in. We had a couple years of real infestation and I got the picture. They are after you and the animals. But the others . . .seems benign, though people may question your housekeeping. They'll question your housekeeping anyway. Eowyn

Anonymous said...

The spiders are probably "Black Widows."
Frodo believes there are two of them, one named lauraingrahm, the other anncoulter. Be very careful, they are poison (and ugly).