10/08/2007

If it's Tuesdy, it's OMST!


My dear Sir Cumspect:

There was much on cable news this week to catch a grammarian’s ear - until I got out my ear plugs!

A couple of distinctions for those who are getting paid to inform;

Farther and Further

Farther refers to physical distance. He walked farther today than he did yesterday.

Further refers to an extension of time or degree. She will look further into the matter.

Over and More Than

Over is not interchangeable with more than. Over refers to spatial relationships. More than is used with figures.

The cow jumped over the moon.

More than 100 delegates attended.

It’s October, and I’m using my church fan!

Until next week, I remain

Respectfully,

OMST

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear OMST, Thanks for the English lesson. How about those prepositions? Can you help with them?

Sincerely, Jan