3/13/2007

Last laugh

A little bitty tear let me down,
Spoiled my act as a clown.
I had it made up
Not to make a frown,
But a little bitty tear let me down.

***

I have this weird thing about stand-up comedians: I hold my breath for fear they’ll bomb. After seeing more than a few flops on Carson, Letterman or Leno, I came to expect the worse as each took the microphone.

In the 90s, I went to Characters, a comedy club in Greenville, S.C., and heard a funny comedian, and he’s still getting laughs – Jeff Foxworthy.

But, that was a rarity, and when a young friend inquired why I didn’t like Comedy Central standups, I had to tell her, “They make me nervous!”

One night a few years back I stumbled across two 30-minute comedy specials, and when they were over I called my son Ladd to tell him I had found a comedian who made me laugh out loud – Richard Jeni. “One of my favorites,” he said.

***

"I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west.' “

"It is a sad fact that 50 percent of marriages in this country end in divorce. But, hey, the other half end in death. You could be one of the lucky ones!"

***

What a rare talent to make others laugh, full belly laughs born of joy and the appreciation of sharp wit.

Richard Jeni died Sunday – an apparent suicide from a gunshot wound.

His work and the laughter will live on in CDs and films and hearts he made happy.


At the Pearly Gates may he hear, “Send in the clowns … there ought to be clowns.”

Jeni obituary: LINK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Currently, on BRAVO, James Lipton interviews Chris Rock for two hours. Beneath the humor there is a combination of reaction to the world around, and of something trying to get out from its' inner concealment. There is an art form to the way he dances across the stage, and the way he uses some words as poetry, when the words have no poetry in them. The great thing about comedy is that it masks what is truly being said. All in all, Frodo starts to chuckle whenever he thinks of the hamster, Rodney, in DR. DOOLITTLE.