3/17/2008

Wright or wrong?

I have agonized over beginning this post and discarded “The Wright stuff” as too flippant a title for a matter of such seriousness to me. This is no time for inappropriate levity.

While I have supported Hillary Clinton, I have made it clear to my readers that I would support and vote for Barack Obama if he is the Democratic nominee.

I have friends who read my blog and are very dear to me who wholeheartedly support Obama’s candidacy. For that reason, I have tried to emphasize issues when discussing the two Democratic hopefuls.

Perhaps it was inevitable with the first African-American and the first woman among top contenders for the presidency that the media would smack their greedy, ratings-craving lips at any hint of racism or sexism.

No one can question that for more than 200 years this has been “white man’s country.”

I find it very hard to level criticism at a candidate who, if nominated, would get my vote in November, considering the alternative.

Simply put, I do not buy Obama’s claim that he has had no previous idea of the tone of his pastor and “spiritual adviser” the Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s sermons.

“Tone” is the key word.

Whether you agree or disagree with Wright’s words, there is an anger in his soul which cannot be denied.

Fox News’ Greta van Susteren devoted a large portion of her show Friday night to airing numerous videos of Wright’s diatribes, which I have not seen on CNN or MSNBC.

I found many patently offensive.

As a young woman, I had a pastor for 12 years who helped me in the development of my spirituality. His sermons and his friendship were as powerful an influence as that of my parents and siblings, providing me with an inner gyroscope which helps me keep my balance. I knew his mind and his heart.

There is incredulity in Obama’s sudden disdain for his pastor’s mind and heart – a dichotomy of divinity being heavily dissected.

Arguments can be made about endorsements John McCain has received from right-wing religious leaders like John Hagee, who has called the Catholic Church “The Great Whore,” and Rod Parsley, who says the Founding Fathers intended Americans to slay all followers of Islam. But, McCain has not had the relationship with either that Obama has had with Wright. I don’t know much about McCain’s spirituality, but I’ll bet I know who he talked to during three years of solitary confinement at the Hanoi Hiltn.

(For the record, numerous books about Hillary Rodham Clinton, including her autobiography, note her spirituality took form in her teenage years. Prevalent were: the influence of her church’s youth minister, who has remained her lifelong friend and adviser; the opportunity twice, as a young girl, to hear Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., preach; and Methodist leader John Wesley’s mantra, “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”)

Wright’s statements are the antithesis of Obama’s stump speeches, and, whether they have had influence on him and his family, cut right to the heart of his platform of hope, unity, change and good judgment.

If Obama faces McCain in the general election, there will be “swift-boating” by 527s like nothing John Kerry ever experienced.

In a worst-case scenario, McCain would win the presidency, and the ramifications of that are far too frightening.

Perhaps more frightening is what a McCain win would do to young people who have become energized in the political process; to blacks who, in my opinion, are long overdue for an MLK-like leader and role model; and to Obama himself.

I have conservative friends who are telling me the Democratic Party is “imploding.” Certainly, the media would have us believe we’re in trouble. But, in the end, the platforms of both senators Obama and Clinton offer far more help, far more hope for Americans and America than anything the Republican Party has offered in many a year.

I believe Barack Obama when he says he loves America. Questions arise about his judgment.

I believe Barack Obama when he says he is a Christian. No person can question another’s spiritual beliefs or what is in a person’s soul.

Essential to this discussion are the words of Article VI of the Constitution of the United States of America:

“The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but NO RELIGIOUS TEST SHALL EVER BE REQUIRED as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.”

I just hope Obama’s little daughters were never in the pews when the Rev. Wright was spewing such fiery rhetoric as “No, no, no. Not God bless America. God damn America. The Bible says so.” across his congregation.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog...you know I don't get into political discussions, but I do listen. In the chat room of a game I was playing I listened to the folks there talk. All of them, most who had voted democratic in the last election, were very upset with the tone and words of the Rev. Wright. Some had been supporting Obama, and were now changing their minds. This could have a very profound affect on the election if Obama is the candidate.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I have listened to a few of those ragings from the pulpit and was instantly reminded of how great an influence men like him have had on these folks from our childhood on. Montel had an interesting show on today where they urged the people of all races to please research the issues and vote the issues, not the hype. However, there are so many who just cannot understand and ARE LED.

Anonymous said...

Now B.J., don't get the wrong idea. They both are victims of circumstance. They have no control over their fate, the media is seeing to that. It appears the country was just not ready for a woman and black man running for president, and doesn't know how to handle it, especially these two. Hillary was already carrying a lot of baggage, and it appears Obama was trying to sneak some by check-in.

Huggies, DJ

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post. I too thought about the fact that the reverend could not have kept all this hidden, then been so . . .SO.

But, BJ, you have to imagine too that there is a huge amount we don't know about the particulars of either of the candidates lives. He is black, and she may have a style . . .we don't know the whole of what that means.

That's what's scarey to me--we have to judge what people will do in dire circumstances, when what we can know of them has to fit into the political "running for president" scene. You know that's a narrow place. The time is short, the teams huge, and they HAVE to appeal to a huge audience. We will not know their hearts. And if we did we won't know they can represent us against all odds.

To me, listening to either of them--or, I should say, all of them--is like listening half deaf. It's not a full deck for us or for them.

I agree with you on one major point. I do not want to wake up with another president that seems to have suddenly come from another planet-- And, when I look clearly at the situation, it should have been obvious all along.

But hindsight is like that. No, we don't want that, but you got to imagine it works for all the candidates--we don't know the whole story. We are like on a trapeeze. Juggling those eggs. Hope we guess right.

Anonymous said...

Here’s the one that gets me. Preacher Wright saying America hates “O Barack Obama” because he’s not white. Hates him? Where does he get that? Americans of all races, young and old, have embraced Obama throughout his campaign. He’s been the frigging front-runner. Talk about race-baiting. If this guy is exemplary among black preachers, there’s a problem. Good post. I hope Obama and the Democratic Party can survive this.

The Mikester

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Frodo is the least surprised Hobbit in all of Middle Earth. The technology that has made us wise, has also made us foolish. Our ability to get information, be it salacious photographs, or words emanating from old and insensitive men, brings us to the instant judgment that cable news disseminates. We are all equally offended, or instantly gratified, then go on about our business until next we are drawn to the "crisis du jour."
Frodo has been to a black church or two, and found it different from what it might be when he was not in attendance. Black churches, for a long time, were the only place where some people could come together and commiserate about the travail in their lives. What makes anyone think that such would be different simply because it was in Illinois as opposed to Mississippi?
Frodo is not unhappy with anybody. He just thinks that sometime being instantaneous makes us sound like the yippie-yappies, when the truth is better served by the man with the slow hand.
Frodo will say something outrageous now; most ministers he has ever met were mindless dweebs. But once or twice he has been moved by the mixture of wisdom and inspiration. He goes, infrequently, perchance to experience a recurrence. Mostly he comes away with the feeling that those who claim to be "called" are merely "touched."

Anonymous said...

BJ,

I appreciate your concern and your arguments about Obama's allegiences but I just don't buy it that his apparent association with this pastor makes Obama some raving Muslim maniac threat. It seems obvious to me he is the Christian family man he professes to be.

Regarding your comment that the right wing, vicious media are spinning this out of control. It will back fire on them, of course. That is why people like Obama anyhow, they are sick of the viciousness of Fox news.

Hoping for best for everyone!

Athena